Sunday, September 6, 2009

Time for an Upgrade

It's amazing how small a car can seem when you have to put a bulky carseat in the back, and a big stroller in the trunk. After 6 1/2 months of pushing the front passenger seat all the way up in order to make room for Abbie's carseat, and struggling to push and pull the stroller in and out of the trunk, we decided it was time to upgrade to something bigger.



We put an ad on KSL Cars for our '96 Nissan Sentra and a few days later, got one call, and Lance, our resident salesman, was able to sell it on the first try. The guy didn't even try to get a lower price. I got a little bit sentimental since I've had this car since high school, but we did get time to say our goodbyes. Hehe. Lance helped me feel better by letting me hold the cash for a little bit.





After a little more searching, we found a car that we were both excited about. We ended up getting a 2003 Nissan Altima that has a huge trunk for the stroller and a lot more room in the backseat for me and Abbie.



Just a quick update on Abbie. While the progress she has made with her feeding has been good, it just hasn't been enough. As much as we don't like to admit it out loud, this is going to be more of a long term problem than we had anticipated. Abbie has now had a tube down her nose for almost 6 months and she has let us know, in no uncertain terms, that she does NOT want it anymore. Unfortunately, this means another surgery. Normally the procedure to place a G-tube (a feeding tube that goes through the abdomen directly into the stomach) is very simple and quick, but nothing with Abbie is ever simple! Abbie's pacemaker happens to be right over her stomach so it will have to be moved to the other side of her abdomen. We don't know yet when the surgery will be, but hopefully it will happen within the next few weeks. We're not looking forward to the surgery but I think after she recovers, she will be so happy that she doesn't have a tube down her nose and layers of itchy tape on her face! We'll let you know when we have an actual surgery date.

Abbie riding her new car



5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new car! If those are all $100 bills you're holding, then it looks like you got a good amount for your '96 (I wish my '96 Oldsmobile were worth that much!)...

    Thanks for the update on Abbie's pending surgery. We'll keep her in our prayers. Let us know when you have the date scheduled...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo for new cars! I love the color. Good luck with Abbie's surgery. You are amazingly brave. I look up to you! I'll keep her (and your family) in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for selling old cars and getting new ones! We love our Nissan. It's our second. Let me know when you'll be at PCMC again. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for a new car! I love your pictures btw. Sorry to hear that Abbie needs another surgery-but I know how much those little ones hate tubes down their nose! Good luck with everything, keep us updated on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the car pics! Made me chuckle and miss you... Abbie's getting SO big!! Isn't it crazy how that happens?

    ReplyDelete